A pet is often regarded as a part of the family, the decision to move your pet overseas is emotional and economical. The following Do's and Don’ts for bringing your pet into India are recommended.
- It is preferable to take your dog or cat as accompanying baggage. This necessitates making advance shipping arrangements and reservations.
- Few airlines permit a very limited number of small pets in airline containers in the airplane cabin. Most are transported in the cargo area.
- Airlines provide kennel containers of various sizes, for a charge. It may be possible to rent one, but the health of previous occupant is questionable. So, unless you can clean it is advance to your satisfaction, this is not recommended.
- Request for kennel by the size of your pet. You must let your pet get accustomed to the shipping crate or kennel a week before shipping.
- An extra supply of your pet’s flea collar, tick sprays should be added into this shipment as that specific brand may not be available in India.
- You must tag your pet with an identification on its collar and an emergency telephone number. Attach a card to the kennel itself with your pet's name, complete destination information and the emergency phone number.
- Telephone the connecting airline to inform them of your pets needs and confirm their specific procedure and timing for putting your pets on board. The layover country's regulations should be checked to see how they pertain to in-transit animals.
- Water your pets before departure, but do not feed. Eating close to flight time can cause air sickness.
- Do not tranquilize your pet without your veterinarian's approval and his recommendations and medical dosage.